Research and Access
Research and access are key priorities for Worthing Theatres and Museum, we are keen to help people learn, understand and be inspired by history through the objects in our collections. We regularly hold workshops that allow our visitors to gain an insight into activities behind the scenes at the museum and understand more about the collections and curatorial process.
We are only able to display a small percentage of our collections in order to maintain best preservation practice. We are thrilled to be able to offer researchers the unique opportunity to access and study our collections and utilise our state of the art Costume Research Center.
at Worthing Museum
Costume Research Center
The Costume Research Centre is a state-of-the-art facility that offers visitors and researchers a truly unique opportunity to inspect and study one of the most important collections of textiles and fashion in the world, ranging from archaeological fragments to heavy tapestry and carpets, accessories and underwear to embroidered 18th century court dresses and contemporary haute couture.
The Costume Research Centre offers visitors:
- A quiet, light, spacious and comfortable study room where individuals and small groups of up to three people can study objects of their choice.
- A seminar room for larger groups of up to 10 people.
- A study collection of textiles selected to show a range of techniques.
- Reference books and on-site access to the collections database0
- Valid passport
- National Insurance Card
- Photo driving licence
- Student Union card
- Official accreditation card from a recognised place of work
- Worthing Theatres and Museum membership card
Services and Expertise
At Worthing Theatres and Museum we aim to share our collections and our expertise as widely as possible. Our research not only sheds new light on our collections but also increases our understanding of the world, and is shared with a wide audience through exhibitions, publications and our learning programme. Loans of objects to local and international venues mean more people than ever can enjoy our treasures.